Posting of Government employees who have differently abled dependents
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated the 6th June, 2014
Sub: Posting of Government employees who have differently abled dependents — reg.
There has been demand that a Government employee who is a care giver of the disabled child may not have to suffer due to displacement by means of routine transfer/rotational transfers. This demand has been made on the ground that a Government employee raises a kind of support system for his/her disabled child over a period of time in the locality where he/she resides which helps them in the rehabilitation.
2. The matter has been examined. Rehabilitation is a process aimed at enabling persons with disabilities to reach and maintain their optimal physical, sensory, intellectual, and psychiatric or a social functional level. The support system comprises of preferred linguistic zone, school/academic level, administration, neighbours, tutors/special educators, friends, medical care including hospitals, therapists and doctors, etc. Thus, rehabilitation is a continuous process and creation of such support system takes years together.
3. Considering that the Government employee.who has disabled child serve as the main care giver of such child, any displacement of such Government employee will have a bearing on the systemic rehabilitation of the disabled child since the new environment/set up could prove to be a hindrance for the rehabilitation process of the child. Therefore, a Government servant who is also a care giver of disabled child may be exempted from the routine exercise of transfer/rotational transfer subject to the administrative constraints. The word ‘disabled’ includes (i) blindness or low vision (ii) hearing impairment (iii) locomotor disability or Cerebral Palsy (iv) leprosy cured (v) mental retardation (vi) mental illness and (vii) multiple disabilities.
4. Upbringing and rehabilitation of disabled child requires financial support. Making the Government employee to choose voluntary retirement on the pretext of routine transfer/rotation transfer would have adverse impact on the rehabilitation process of the disabled child.
5. This issues with the approval of MoS(PP).
6. All the Ministries/Departments, etc. are requested to bring these instructions to the notice of all concerned under their control.
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India
[ http://ccis.nic.in/WriteReadData/CircularPortal/D2/D02adm/42011_3_2014-Estt.Res.-06062014.pdf ]