Central Government Employees to Declare Assets details under Lokpal Act
Declaration of Assets and Liabilities is compulsory for all central government employees
[TO BE PUBLISHED IN THE GAZETTE OF INDIA, EXTRAORDINARY, PART II, SECTION 3, SUB-SECTION (i) OF DATED THE 14TH JULY, 2014]
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF PERSONNEL, PUBLIC GRIEVANCES AND PENSIONS
DEPARTMENT OF PERSONNEL AND TRAINING
New Delhi, the 14th July, 2014.
G.S.R.________(E).—In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) read with clause (k) and clause (1) of sub-section (2) of section 59 of the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013 (1 of 2014), read with section 44 and section 45 of the said Act, the Central Government hereby makes the following rules to provide for furnishing of information and annual return containing declaration of assets and liabilities by public servants and to provide for minimum value of the assets which the competent authority may exempt from furnishing such information by a public servant under section 45 of the said Act, namely:-
1. Short title and commencement.—(1) These rules may be called the Public Servants (Furnishing of Information and Annual Return of Assets and Liabilities and the Limits for Exemption of Assets in Filing Returns) Rules, 2014.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
2. Definitions.—In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires –
(a) “Act” means the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013 (1 of 2014);
(b) “Appendix” means an Appendix to these Rules;
(c) “annual return” means the annual return to be filed by a public servant under sub-section (4) of section 44;
(d) “declaration” means the declaration of assets and liabilities made by a public servant under sub-section (1) of section 44;
(e) “Form” means a Form specified in Appendix-II;
(f) “information” means the information required to be furnished by a public servant under sub-section (3) of section 44;
(g) “section” means the section of the Act.
3. Manner of Submission of information and annual return.—(1) Every public servant shall make a declaration of his assets and liabilities under sub-section (1) of section 44 in the format specified in Appendix-I, along with the information required under sub-section (2), or as the case may be, sub-section (3), and the annual return under sub-section (4) of section 44 in Forms I to IV specified in Appendix-II.
(2) Every public servant shall file declaration, information or return, as the case may be, regarding his assets and liabilities as on the 31st day of March every year, to the competent authority as referred to in clause (c) of sub-section (1) of section 2, on or before the 31st day of July of that year:
Provided that the public servants who have filed declarations, information and annual returns of property under the provisions of the rules applicable to such public servants shall file the revised declarations, information or as the case may be, annual returns as on the 1st day of August, 2014, to the competent authority on or before the 15th day of September, 2014.
4. Minimum value of assets which competent authority may exempt from furnishing of information.—The competent authority may, for reasons to be recorded in writing, exempt in accordance with the proviso to section 45, a public servant from filing the information in respect of any asset, if the value of such asset does not exceed four months basic pay of the public servant or rupees two lakhs, whichever is higher.